Thursday, September 13, 2007

How the Heck do Artists Price their Work?

Many people wonder about how art is priced. I can't go into the thought process behind how a Van Gogh or a Monet is valued, but I can offer some insights into how contemporary, working artists price their work. There are several factors that go into this and I'll tell you up front, most of them are completely subjective. Factors include the medium (watercolor, acrylic, oil, etc.), how well known the artist is, how the work is framed (or not), where the work is selling (art fair, website, gallery, co-op), and how big the piece is.
More on this subject later today...........................Please visit this evening if interested............:)

So, back to the guts of this issue, and some opinions and information for both the collector, and beginning or veteran artist who has not developed a "clean" formula for pricing.............

Robert Genn, artist, author, and publisher of the "Painter's Keys" newsletter, sums up his philosophy on pricing artwork in a straightforward manner, suggesting that an artist "start low, and raise the price by 10% each year." Really, a common sense, sound policy.
Because it may be argued that original artwork has no inherent value; and no true utilitarian purpose; determining whether an artist's work is priced fairly and appropriately often is an underlying 'worry' for the beginning (and often, even seasoned) art collector. I'd offer several simple guidelines or suggestions to all collectors who are purchasing original art to enhance their lives and immediate environs;........
When possible; do at least a minimum of research into the reputation of the gallery from which you will be purchasing ANY artwork. A visit to the internet, looking toward the length of time the gallery has been in business; the number of artists whom they represent -( A list of 200 artists whom they claim to represent is typically not realistic nor manageable; rather- look for a gallery that passionately and intelligently carry 10-40 different artists; whom they know well, and for the most part; have represented for many years).
Take time to become acquainted with owners and directors of several favorite galleries; until you feel very comfortable with their knowledge, honesty, and integrity. This kind of relationship may prove to ultimately be your most valuable ally in finding exactly what you may be looking for, while feeling confident that each suggestion that they make is geared toward your stated tastes, lifestyle, and price range.

In terms of pricing my own artwork; a relatively simple formula has evolved over a period of 22 years.:)
As a young artist; selling my watercolors to co-workers, and in a relatively short time; at large outdoor "fine art and craft shows";....I made the decision to simply look at other artist's watercolor paintings; take an (admittedly subjective) look at the quality of their work, and see what THEIR work was selling for. Some of my contemporaries at that time were the superb watercolor realist Steven Hanks; Cathryn Anderson, - painter of lovely, misty vineyards and scenes from the California wine country, Marilyn Simandle ;.....and a very long list of very fine painters.
After making an uneducated guess on where my work 'fit-in', in terms of quality; I simply considered the most expensive work; noticed some of the least expensive work; and priced my paintings essentially ' squarely between the two extremes. ' I was very lucky; and due to the vast numbers of visitors to these shows ( often, between 40,000 and 300,000 over a 2-4 day period); was able to sell all that I could paint. (Approximately 100-250 paintings annually).

Overall, the philosophy of "starting low, and raising your prices approximately 10% each year", has worked very, very well for me.
At this time; nearing the final quarter of 2007; (WOW! Time does fly. I need some ibuprofen, more coffee, and a reminder to increase my fiber intake!).........................; my pricing formula is relatively simple and consistent, and works as follows:

Small paintings (16" x 20" and under); are priced at $11.00 - $12.00 per square inch; including framing; based on the complexity of the subject.
Larger works are priced at $9.00 - $12.00 per square inch; and again;.....-complexity of subject matter is taken into consideration.

A humble, yet experienced suggestion to painters new to this elusive process; and interesting, frustrating,-yet exhilarating world of creating and selling your artwork: Try to keep your prices CONSISTENT , REGARDLESS of WHERE your paintings are sold. Your reputation, credibility, and ultimately; your entire professional journey will, in large part, depend on the continued consistency of the perceived value of your work.

Personally; there is one concession that I occasionally make in terms of pricing: the "friends and family discount". After all; it is MY work; and if I choose to offer a piece to family, or to a friend at a judicious and substantial discount; -you can bet that I will happily do just that, as a gesture of kindness and goodwill:)
Overall; simply 'start low, increase your prices just-a-bit each year';..and you will likely do just fine:)
Good luck, and best wishes to you all!



18 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll be back later -- Just wanted to be the first to comment :)

Anonymous said...

And I wanted to be the second.

Yellow said...

And me makes three.

Yellow said...

Great stuff. When I read the intro the other day, that you were going to discuss pricing, I was anxious, but after reading, it all makes sense, and is also a lot of common sense. Funny how one fears the unknown, then chuckles at how relatively easy it was when you finally get down to it. I'm no where near the stage of selling, or exhibiting my work, but I do give pieces to friends & family who ask for them. It's been a long time since I visited a gallery selling work, usually I visit public art galleries. Maybe I should get out & take a look around some time. Then run back inside and hide in a corner when I'm done :)
Thanks Scott, I'm looking forward to future such subjects to muse.

Padgett said...

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the informative look at pricing artwork. Having been selling my art for some 20 years, I, too, have come up with similar guidelines. My biggest dilemma though, comes from creating a piece that I feel is 'better' than the rest. My temporary solution to that (if you are interested!) is that I keep these pieces in my own personal collection until I am ready to let them go. Perhaps, that is ultimately the problem. I need to be more ready to let these go once I have finished them. And that brings up a whole other bag of worms......... how we artists view our own creations and what it means to create and release the work to the world.

Scott Mattlin said...

Thanks for stopping by Lisa and Shirley.

Greetings Steph;...- I'm pleased to know that you find my explanation of this somewhat confusing issue for artists user-friendly:)
Pricing, framing, dealing with galleries;- all may be intimidating for the uninitiated.
Aside from discussing these issues occassionaly here in the blogger's world; -please feel free to email me directly with any questions or concerns, at any time. I promise to get back to you with my most well thought-out responses:)
BTW;..as with most artists (other than those unusual egomaniacs);...- you seem to be a bit timid and underestimate the quality of your work. I've seen your work. Many pieces are certainly gallery quality. Email me, and I'll elaborate:) Cheers, -Scott

Hi Padgett! JEEZ, it's been FOREVER since we've spoken;)!
Your temporary solution to the issue that we might tentatively title: "How do YOU price your 'masterpieces'?" - mirrors my own.
If I paint the rare 'masterwork'; I'll hang it in my studio- (or some other part of our home) , until I've realized that it's probably not a MASTERPIECE (TA-DA!(horns of Angels playing in the background:); but merely a piece that I particularly enjoyed.
Once tiring of it; the painting can be shipped to a gallery and sold at my current standard price.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Talk to you later:) -Scott

Unknown said...

Hi Scott, I just arrived back from houston and my fiance and i saw your "morning coffee" painting at Dean Day Gallery. He wanted to buy it however it was sold. The painting reminds him of me. I am also an artist. Illustrator by trade and have been a successful commercial artist for the last 12 yrs. I am now painting full time and exhibiting in the Toronto art fair in march. I was so happy to be accepted my first year trying. Your blog was extremely helpfull as i have about 18 ptintings now and have no clue where to begin with pricing for my big show. Would you be so kind to correspond with me and offer advice from time to time. I am a total newbie to the business of fine art as commercial art was my background and they are totoaly different industries. Would love a critique from you on my work if you are willing.

Michelle Delisle

Scott Mattlin said...

Greetings Michelle,

Sorry not to respond sooner; but I hope that you'll be pleased with what I would offer.
First, of course, a great congratulations on being accepted into the Toronto Show! A wonderful beginning.
As a "newbie" to the fine art field; a network of mentors is almost essential in guiding you through both technical, and the "Craft" of producing very fine art; (mainly a whole lot of time spent at your easel; with some gentle seasoned guidance);.......-and the labyrinth that you will need to navigate in order to market yourself and your work effectively.
I will offer you all that I have learned over these many years;..through email; and should you choose: you have an open invitation to visit my studio; perhaps peeking over my shoulder, and visiting with Lisa and I.
You may contact me directly at: Mattlart@comcast.net Cheers, -Scott

Anonymous said...

Scott, I have just returned from a three day workshop where the discussion of pricing came up. Imagine my surprise that some were startled at the idea of pricing by the inch. It is really a true business approach to an often emotional issue. You are wise to inject business into art, especially when it is your vocation. I have never been to the grocery store to buy beans and had the owner say that some were worth more because he/she liked them better!

Just an idea, could you blog on the issue of workshops at a later date?

Scott Mattlin said...

I'd like to hear more about your workshop experience, Shirley.

Where was it held?

The issue of workshops. Hmmmm.I'd be happy to write a short piece on the issue of attending workshops; particularly in regard to suggestions on being able to maximize what you may be able to 'take-away', and put into your toolbox for future use.
I'm glad that you've found my first post here interesting. It's time to move onto a new subject now, to be sure.
Best Wishes, -Scott

Anna,la Fdez.O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna,la Fdez.O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna,la Fdez.O. said...

Hi Scott,

I am very happy to find fine artist blogs !!! ;-)

I am a fine artist from Barcelona (Spain) and it is very difficult for me to find these type of blogs because most of artist blogs are from ilustrators.

Please, could you tell how to find, over the world, more blogs from artist like you in blogspot.com ???

And ...finally, I hope you visit my blog "artxart" and you give me some good advise !!!

Nice works !!!! Cheers,

Nick said...

Love that painting on this post, just fantastic...one of your best I'd say.
Finally joined you bloggers, check it out when you can.
Hope you have a good holiday season, Scott!

debra said...

Good to be here, Scott. We're also self-employed in the arts---we make mostly porcelain pottery. The issue of pricing is a big one in the fine crafts as well. Are you asked"Can you do better than that?" when someone asks about a price? We are pretty firm about our prices--we know the costs of time, materials and the time it has taken to develop the skills--both the technical expertise and the emotional maturity--to make a piece "sing" We also sometimes offer "friends and family discounts" but we work hard at our craft. I have often told people that this is how we earn our living and that no one wants to take a cut in pay.

Scott Mattlin said...

Hi Anna;..it's a pleasure to have you visit.

I would simply try writing the words 'artist blogs' in Google, and see what comes up. Perhaps the words "oil painters" or "fine artist's blogs" may work as well.
A very fine website that offers advice on virtually all aspects of art, in all media is : www.wetcanvas.com . It's truly a magnificent website for the fine artist. In the meantime; I wish you the best of luck in your creative endeavors!

You've already suceeded in creating an interesting and intriqueing, visually exciting blog, Nick. Great job, my friend.
And congratulations on your recent recognition at the prestigious NWS.
Take good care, -Scott

You've literally taken my sentiments and words directly here Debra. I could not agree more. Directly and eloquently stated.
Thanks for your insightful post.!

Anonymous said...

Thank You! I have been painting for about 20 years off and on and have sold several pieces to friends & family. Each time it came time to talk price I would get anxious,confused, and scared!

One reason is because I am always surprised when someone wants to purchase my artwork (I am my own worst critic) or I thought were offering to buy because they felt sorry for me or something crazy like that!

I have been asking and searching for an Objective way to price my art for a the past few years,because I finally decided to seriously pursue marketing and selling my art.

So, I was thrilled when I came upon your site and found the perfect answer to my question! Thanks to you, I can now get busy pricing and hopefully selling my work !

Thank you
Ellen Cox

Josh Swenson said...

That was great! and that painting that you shown looked really really amazing. Impressionistic oil paintings are kind of what i have a love and passion for. so thanks for sharing. I hope that a lot of artists can finally get what they deserve for the heart and soul and love that they put into their work

http://www.johnhburrow.com