Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year Tribute to Dan Fogelberg



A New Year Tribute to Dan Fogelberg

We've lost one of the greats.

Sadly, singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg passed away several weeks ago in on a Sunday morning in December at 6 am.

Fogelberg discovered that he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support. "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years......I thank you from the very depths of my heart."

I'd like to thank Dan and all of those close to him who encouraged and inspired him to write and perform music that has touched my personal and creative life so deeply and profoudly.
So many memories of listening to "Same Old Lang Syne"; ...chills running up my spine, nostalgic tears falling from my eyes, and a haunting and surprisingly comforting melancholy recognition of those very real and achingly similar experiences resounding in my own soul.

"Dan Fogelberg has created songs that have become so embedded in our collective consciousness that they still resound with authentic magic and beauty years after they first emerged." -Paul Zollo

I'd encourage any of you whose lives have been touched by the gentle genius of Dan's music to share their memories here.

Thank you again Dan, from the very depths of my heart.

Next Post: A conversation with Colorado figurative painter Ron Hicks.

11 comments:

Kim Adamache said...

Scott - thanks so much for this. I was a big Dan Fogelberg fan in the 70's. I have several of his albums and I mean albums. I was shocked and sad to learn of his death a few weeks ago. My favorite song was "A Place in the World for a Gambler" from Souvenirs--Let it Shine!!!!!!!! I must have driven my roommates crazy listening to that one as often as I did. Now, you got me wanting to listen to his albums. I'm going to have Kyle record Dan's albums with his USB turntable onto the computer and make discs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott for posting this. I was a very young :) Dan Fogelberg fan in the late '70s and on through the 80s. My favorite in high school was "Longer Than." Wow, what a beautiful voice he had, and an even more beautiful way with lyrics! My favorite album of his was probably "Innocent Age" - I most likely had it on cassette. Time to hit the iTunes store!

Scott Mattlin said...

Happy New Year Kim!

Scott Mattlin said...

Happy New Year Kim!
Chuckle;..Naturally there's more to say- hit that "publish" button a wee bit too quickly.

Just think; NOW you have the opportunity to drive Kyle crazy!
Opportunities like this don't come along every day!

Dan's passing naturally makes me want to go back and relisten to so much of his music, as well. I believe that he will be missed profoundly; whenever we lose a great individual, I think that it's important to pause and realize that a very important and sad event has occurred. I'm taking just a little time to pause........
Be well, -Scott

Thanks for commenting, Nancy.
He DID have a gentle, powerful, and stunning voice, didn't he?
A recommendation: When you visit iTunes- download his "Greatest Hits" cd;- you can't go wrong there:) Happy New Year to you and Tom.

virtual nexus said...

Scott, just called in from Lisa's to say how much I'm enjoying dipping in to your work. Visited Colorado years ago and loved and have never forgotten the art. Have put a link to you on my art blog, if that's ok.

Occasional leisure painter myself - have a son doing fine art.

Scott Mattlin said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for stopping by.
I didn't recognize your name; and Lisa just informed me that you are that very nice creative woman from England who takes such lovely pictures, and has such interesting thoughts:)

Yes, "linking me" is just fine. Thank you.
Now;I'm going to go take a peek at YOUR website.
Cheers, -Scott

virtual nexus said...

Cheers - look forward to seeing your next post.

About said...

Oh God I loved that song...listened to it over and over...haven't heart it in years...thanks for that.

Scott Mattlin said...

I'm glad that you somehow found your way here.
And;..I'm grateful that this short tribute seems to have been a small gift. From me,.........-to you:)
That PARTICULAR song will always haunt, and inspire deep emotions for me;.and apparently for you as well....... Take good care, -Scott
BTW,- how did you stumple onto this blog?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Scott, I was deeply moved. With the latest passing of another great, Heath Ledger, I am reminded of how unique we all are and how we all have our own song to sing and gifts to give to the world. Life is much too precious to waste even a second of it.

Kosmos said...

Hello Guys.......

Skimmed Milk Powder | Pure Desi Ghee | Cheese Manufacturers | Butter Suppliers | Whey Protein Concentrate | Lactose Manufacturers | Condensed Milk | Malto Supplier | Food Powder | Food Powder Manufacturer | Dairy Manufacturers